Saturday, November 10, 2007

Texas School Bans Hugging

(from November 10, 2007)



Just heard a news report on 680 News about a school, Barton Middle School, in Kyle, Texas, which has banned students from hugging each other.

The school officials claim they banned hugging due to students being late for class from lots of hugging. That obviously is just an excuse. They should admit they banned hugging because they're fearful of lawsuits. They claim it has nothing to do with inappropriate touching.

However, I think it's a big mistake to ban hugging. Of all things. Hugs are needed and not everyone gets many. Some people don't get any hugs at all. Kid or adult.

In 2005, 5-days before Christmas I mentioned to a female I know that's the day my mother died(she died in 1995)from ovarian cancer. The girl said "that's sad" and immediately approached me and gave me a hug. That was a stress reliever. For me. Especially that day.

And that was the last time any girl gave me a hug. Don't worry about me I'm fine folks. I'm a big-boy and can handle it. There's worse things to worry about in the world.

But I mention this because if the students at that school, who are much, much younger than I am, don't get hugged much, or at all, 2-weeks, forget 2-years, may seem like an eternity to them. Especially if those students don't get hugged by their mom or dad. Or by anyone else for that matter. The school officials should reconsider their decision and allow students to hug. Otherwise I nominate the school officials for Dunce of The Year.